Sunday, May 5, 2013

Straw Less KFC: A way of reducing restaurants waste


Is there a straw less society nowadays? I was surprised last night when I ordered for some food in a known fast food chain (KFC) located in a leading mall in the metro. I asked the lady dispatching my order for straw since it was for dine out. She told me that they are “straw less”.  Really? How my child was supposed to drink a cup of soda that is covered without a straw? Ironically, the cup cover has a perforated portion at the center, which is intended for punching the straw. I understand your advocacy of reducing the use of plastic nowadays but hey – have a little common sense.

I know how much waste is produced by restaurants daily and one of the culprits is drinking straw. Imagine those plastic cups, eating utensils, Styrofoam containers, wrappers and napkins that are thrown in the waste bin. With the overwhelming amount of waste produced by fast food restaurants, I am wondering if our government regulated the law concerning the issue on how it affects our life, if landfill is enough or not. Gee, my fault for not bringing my reusable drinking bottle. I should start using it also for ordering drinks over the counter.

As expected, the soda spilled as he was opening the cover every time he drinks from the cup. I've checked with the other branch of the same fast food joint, they are using straw for their drinks. How come this branch doesn't have any? My son told me that “ants” consumed all of their straw because they are saving for rainy season. It was a joke of course, a result of his imaginative and creative innocent mind. Anyway, we should learn to love more our environment by cutting down our wastes, reuse, recycle and refrain from using plastics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...